Wednesday 18 September 2013

The new me


I've written a few times about the predictable cliches people come out with about having a baby. I have come to an alarming conclusion...

...they are all true!

So, let's get them out of the way: My life has changed beyond all recognition, I'm surviving on half my usual amount of sleep, it's hard work being a parent, I don't have room in my life for anything else at the moment etc etc. It is all, without question, wonderful, and I am very aware that while there are challenges, I am very lucky to have a baby at all. For some people, sleepless nights and poo-ey nappies are something unobtainable. I love my daughter, and can no longer imagine life without her.

M is 10 days old today and already my routine and approach to life has changed. Now, a few minutes to read the paper and drink tea while it is still hot is a rare luxury. My shower at the beginning of each day is something to savour, and at times, nights are something to dread. 

I think M is having a growth spurt at the moment. She is putting on lots of weight, and demanding feeds from R on an almost hourly basis. R is coping really well and now has the art of popping a boob out down to a fine art. She's only forgotten to put her top back up over her bra once so far...

I am lucky to be on parental leave for now. When I go back to work the routine will change again, but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime I am concentrating on enjoying my daughter and looking after my wife. 

2 comments:

  1. Your daughter is beautiful. How does it feel being the non-bio mum? No different from being the bio-mum? The love is the same, the feelings, the inability to contain your emotions when you look at her, even the hormones feel completely mirrored....that was/is how it is for us.

    Yes life changes beyond all recognition and it gets more and more difficult to remember how it used to be, life must have been so empty.

    Congratulations again

    K x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate - yes to all of the above! Biology doesn't really feature for me any longer. :)

    ReplyDelete